Vatican City, 7 July 2014 (VIS) – The Holy Father has:
- appointed Fr. Manuel Ochogavia Barahona, O.S.A., as bishop of Colon-Kuna Yala (area 8,167, population 290,000, Catholics 204,000, priests 32, religious 46), Panama. The bishop-elect was born in Las Tablas, Panama in 1967, gave his solemn vows in 1995, and was ordained a priest in 2002. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including professor and administrator of the “San Agustin” college in the diocese of David, Panama; and priest in the “San Jose” parish, David. He is currently prior of the convent and priest of the parish of Chitre, diocesan chancellor, member of the college of consultors, member of the council of his Order for Panama, delegate at the Organisation of Agostinians for Latin America, diocesan assessor for the “Movimiento Familiar Cristiano” and chaplain of the Regional University Centre of Azuero.
On Saturday, 5 July, the Holy Father:
- appointed Archbishop Antonio Arcari, currently apostolic nuncio in Mozambique, as apostolic nuncio in Costa Rica.
- appointed Bishop John Ebebe Ayah of Ogoja, Nigeria as bishop of Uyo (area 5,969, population 1,963,000, Catholics 737,000, priests 75, religious 58), Nigeria, and apostolic administrator “sede vacante et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis” of the diocese of Ogoja.
- appointed Msgr. Luis Fernando Rodriguez as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Cali (area 2,504, population 2,821,000, Catholics 2,397,000, priests 405, permanent deacons 16, religious 1044), Colombia. The bishop-elect was born in Medellin, Colombia in 1959 and was ordained a priest in 1995. He holds a bachelor's degree in theology from the Pontifical Bolivarian University of Medellin, a licentiate in canon law from the Pontifical Lateran University, Rome, a doctorate in canon law from the Pontifical Javerian University of Bogota, Colombia, and a licentiate in religious education from the Pontifical Bolivarian University of Medellin. He has served in a number of pastoral, academic and administrative roles, including formator and vice rector of the major seminary of Medellin, vice chancellor of the archdiocese of Medellin and secretary to the archbishop; priest of the parish of “Santa Maria la Virgen”, official of the Pontifical Council for the Family; priest of the parish of “El Sagrario”, adjunct judicial vicar of the archdiocesan tribunal; and professor, chaplain and rector of the Pontifical Bolivarian University of Medellin. He is currently vicar general of the archdiocese of Medellin.
- appointed Fr. Lukasz Miroslaw Buzun, O.S.P.P.E., as auxiliary of Kalisz (area 10,800, population 732,348, Catholics 726,000, priests 608, religious 536), Poland. The bishop-elect was born in Korycin, Poland in 1968, gave his perpetual vows in 1995 and was ordained a priest in 1996. He studied psychology at the Pontifical Faculty of Theology of Wroclaw and at the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University of Warsaw, where he obtained his licentiate in theology of spirituality and his doctorate in theology. He has served in the monastery and parish of Wlodawa and in the monastery of Jasna Gora, where he was also deputy director of the radio of Jasna Gora. He is currently lecturer in spiritual theology in the faculty of theology of the Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University of Warsaw and prior of the monastery of Jasna Gora.