VATICAN CITY, MAY 14, 2004 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the archdiocese of Thare and Nonseng, Thailand, presented by Archbishop Lawrence Khai Saen-Phon-On, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Fr. Tarcisio Isao Kikuchi, S.V.D., provincial superior of the Verbites in Japan, as bishop of Niigata (area 33,517, population 4,893,401, Catholics 7,549, priests 34, permanent deacons 1, religious 119), Japan. The bishop-elect was born in 1958 in Iwata, Japan and was ordained a priest in 1986. The Holy Father accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese presented by Bishop Francis Keiichi Sato, O.F.M. upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Bishop Francis Xavier Osamu Mizobe, S.D.B., of Sendai, Japan as bishop of Takamatsu (area 18,800, population 4,142,157, Catholics 5,492, priests 48, religious 122), Japan. He accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, presented by Bishop Joseph Satoshi Fukahori upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Archbishop Ramon C. Arguelles, military ordinary of the Philippines, as metropolitan archbishop of Lipa (area 3,165, population 1,972, 562, Catholics 1,892,746, priests 151, religious 272), the Philippines.
- Appointed Fr. Hector Epalza Quintero, P.S.S., rector of Major Seminary of the archdiocese of Manizales, Colombia as bishop of Buenaventura (area 7,000, population 325,000, Catholics 317,836, priests 40, religious 94), Colombia. The bishop-elect was born in 1940 in Convencion, Colombia and was ordained a priest in 1965.
- Appointed Bishop Jose F. Oliveros of Boac, the Philippines, as bishop of Malolos (area 2,2672, population 2,820, 350, Catholics 2,467,108, priests 225, religious 333), the Philippines.
- Appointed Fr. Emmanuel T. Cabajar, C.Ss.R., former member of the General Council of the Redemptorists, as bishop of Pagadian (area 2,860, population 976,681, Catholics 784,868, priests 41, religious 52), the Philippines. Bishop-elect Cabajar was born in 1942 in Handayan Getafe, the Philippines and was ordained a priest in 1966.
- Appointed Bishop Leo M. Drona, S.D.B., bishop of San Jose, the Philippines, as bishop of San Pablo (area 1,203, population 2,363,881, Catholics 1,917,507, priests 164, religious 438), the Philippines.
- Appointed Fr. Gaston Kashala Ruwezi, S.D.B., vicar of the Inspectorate of Central Africa, as bishop of the diocese of Sakania Kipushi (area 40,000, population 204,000, Catholics 110,000, priests 41, religious 46), Democratic Republic of Congo. The bishop-elect was born in 1961 and was ordained a priest in 1990.
- Appointed Msgr. Richard Gagnon, vicar general of the archdiocese of Vancouver, Canada, as bishop of the same archdiocese (area 95,275, population 705,113, Catholics 90,000, priests 39, religious 97). Bishop-elect Gagnon was born in 1948 in Lethbridge, Canada and was ordained a priest in 1983.
- Appointed Fr. Emmanuel C. Trance, up to November 2003 rector of the minor seminary "St. Vincent Ferrer" in the archdiocese of Jaro, the Philippines, as coadjutor bishop of Catarman (area 3,498, population 500,639, Catholics 365,967, priests 41, religious 43), the Philippines. Bishop-elect Trance was born in 1953 in Calinog Iloilo, Philippines and was ordained a priest in 1978.
RE:NER:NEC/.../... VIS 20040514 (500)