VATICAN CITY, APR 22, 2004 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Appointed Bishop Jose Francisco Sanches Alves, auxiliary of Lisbon, as bishop of Portalegre-Castelo Branco (area 9,150, population 252,942, Catholics 251,324, priests 114, permanent deacons 12, religious 209), Portugal. He succeeds Bishop Augusto Cesar Alves Ferreira da Silva, C.M., whose resignation the Holy Father accepted in conformity with Canon 401, para 2 of the Code of Canon Law.
- Appointed Bishop Manuel Neto Quintas, S.C.I., auxiliary of Faro, Portugal, as bishop of the same diocese (area 5,071, population 391,819, Catholics 340,000, priests 62, permanent deacons 7, religious 106). He succeeds Bishop Manuel Madureira Dias whose resignation to the pastoral care of this diocese was accepted by the Holy Father in conformity with Canon 401, para 2 of he Code of Canon Law.
- Appointed Bishop Antonio Augusto dos Santos Marto, auxiliary of Braga, Portugal, as bishop of Viseu (area 3,400, population 293,445, Catholics 278,773, priests 176, religious 168), Portugal.
- Appointed Archbishop Ivan Jurkovic, apostolic nuncio in Belarus, as apostolic nuncio in Ukraine.
- Appointed Archbishop Augustine Kasujja, apostolic nuncio in Algeria and Tunisia, as apostolic nuncio in Madagascar and the Seychelles, and apostolic delegate in the Comore Islands and in La Reunion.
- Appointed Archbishop Thomas Yeh Sheng-nan, apostolic nuncio in Sri Lanka, as apostolic nuncio in Algeria and Tunisia.
NER:RE:NN/.../... VIS 20040422 (230)