VATICAN CITY, JAN 24, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the office of auxiliary of the archdiocese of Gdansk, Poland, presented by Bishop Zygmunt Pawlowicz upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Msgr. Ryszard Kasyna of the clergy of the archdiocese of Gdansk, Poland, judicial vicar of the same archdiocese, as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Gdansk (area 2,500, population 977,552, Catholics 917,695, priests 728, religious 844). The bishop-elect was born in Nowy Staw in 1957 and ordained a priest in 1982.
On Saturday, January 22, It was made public that he:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of Lucca, Italy, presented by Archbishop Bruno Tommasi upon having reached the age limit. He is succeeded by Archbishop Benvenuto Italo Castellani, coadjutor of the same archdiocese.
- Appointed Fr. Henryk Hoser, S.A.C., rector of the Pallotine Fathers' missionary center in Brussels, Belgium, as adjunct secretary to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples and president of the Pontifical Missionary Works, at the same time elevating him to the dignity of archbishop. The archbishop-elect was born in Warsaw, Poland, in 1942 and ordained a priest in 1974.
- Appointed Msgr. Vicente Juan Segura of the clergy of the archdiocese of Valencia, Spain, head of the Spanish section of the Secretariat of State, as bishop of Ibiza (area 872, population 108,000, Catholics 93,000, priests 37, religious 64), Spain. The bishop-elect was born in Tabernes de Valldigna, Spain, in 1955, and ordained a priest in 1981.
RE:NEA:NA:NER/.../... VIS 20050124 (260)