VATICAN CITY, APR 1, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Appointed Bishop Adriano Langa O.F.M., auxiliary of the archdiocese of Maputo, Mozambique, as coadjutor bishop of Inhambane (area 68,476, population 1,391,010, Catholics 267,308, priests 36, religious 105), Mozambique.
- Appointed Archbishop Alberto Bottari de Castello, apostolic nuncio to Gambia, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, as apostolic nuncio to Japan.
- Appointed Msgr. Charles Daniel Balvo, counsellor to the apostolic nunciature in Lithuania, as apostolic nuncio to New Zealand, Fiji Islands, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Samoa, Vanuatu, Tonga, Nauru, Kiribati, Palau, Cook Islands and apostolic delegate to the Pacific Ocean, at the same time raising him to the dignity of archbishop. The archbishop-elect was born in New York, U.S.A., in 1951 and ordained a priest in 1976.
- Appointed Bishop Nestor Celestial Carino, auxiliary of Daet, the Philippines, as bishop of Legazpi (area 2,552, population 1,117,223, Catholics 1,077,183, priests 155, religious 158), the Philippines.
- Appointed Bishop Artemio Lomboy Rillera S.D.B. of Bangued, the Philippines, as bishop of San Fernando de La Union (area 1,404, population 656,866, Catholics 551,768, priests 46, religious 103), the Philippines.
- Appointed Bishop Leopoldo Jose Brenes Solorzano of Matagalpa, Nicaragua, as metropolitan archbishop of Managua (area 5,312, population 2,386,500, Catholics 1,807,300, priests 147, religious 636), Nicaragua. The archbishop-elect was born in Ticuantepe, Nicaragua, in 1949, he was ordained a priest in 1974 and consecrated a bishop in 1988. He succeeds Cardinal Miguel Obando Bravo S.D.B., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same archdiocese the Holy Father accepted, upon having reached the age limit.
- The Holy Father accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the archdiocese of Resistencia, Argentina, presented by Archbishop Carmelo Juan Giaquinta, in accordance with Canon 401, para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.
- On 22 March 2005, he erected the current "sui iuris" mission of Uzbekistan as an apostolic administration, appointing Fr. Jerzy Maculewicz O.F.M. Conv., assistant general for the Order of Friars Minor Conventuals for Eastern Europe, as apostolic administrator of the new circumscription, at the same time elevating him to the dignity of bishop. The bishop-elect was born in Daszew, Ukraine, in 1955 and ordained a priest in 1996.
- On 23 March 2005, he appointed Msgr. Philippe Jourdan, vicar general of the apostolic administration for Estonia, as apostolic administrator of the same circumscription, at the same time elevating him to the dignity of bishop.
NEC:NA/.../... VIS 20050401 (410)