Vatican City, 20 February 2014 (VIS) – The Holy Father has:
- appointed Fr. Damiano Giulio Guzzetti, M.C.C.J., as bishop of Moroto (area 14,857, population 470,000, Catholics 229,368, priests 35, religious 109), Uganda. The bishop-elect was born in Turate, Italy in 1959, gave his solemn vows in 1989, and was ordained a priest in 1989. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including parish vicar in “Namalu” and “Naoi”, and priest of the parish of “Matanynella”, in the diocese of Moroto; member of the provincial council of the Congregation of Comboni Missionaries in Uganda, formator of postulants in his Congregation in Uganda, and bursar and lecturer at the Queen of Apostle Philosophy Centre in Jinja, Uganda. He succeeds Bishop Henry Apaloryamam Ssentongo, whose resignation, upon having reached the age limit, was accepted by the Holy Father.
- appointed Msgr. Olivier Leborgne as bishop of Amiens (area 6,277, population 586,200, Catholics 503,200, priests 88, permanent deacons 16, religious 197), France. The bishop-elect was born in Nantes, France in 1963 and was ordained a priest in 1991. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including parish vicar in Elancourt-Maurepas, priest of the parish “St. Bernadette” in Versailles, and episcopal vicar for formation. Since 2004 he has held the role of vicar general of the diocese of Versailles.
- appointed Msgr. Carl Allan Kemme as bishop of Wichita (area 51,955, population 994,000, Catholics 126,800, priests 123, permanent deacons 4, religious 259), U.S.A. The bishop-elect was born in Effingham, Illinois in 1960 and was ordained a priest in 1986. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including priest of the parish of “St. Mary” in Brussels, “St. Joseph” in Meppen and the “Holy Family Parish” in Decatur, parish administrator of “Our Lady of the Holy Spirit” in Mt. Zion, vicar forane in the Decatur deanery, priest-moderator of the “St. James Parish” in Decatur, priest in the “St. Peter Parish” in Petersburg and the “St. John Vianney Parish” in Sherman, and diocesan administrator. He has served as vicar general and moderator of the Curia since 2010. In 2002 he was named Prelate of Honour of His Holiness.
- appointed Msgr. Peter Baldacchino as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Miami (area 12,836, population 4,369,000, Catholics 874,000, priests 379, permanent deacons 161, religious 399), U.S.A. The bishop-elect was born in Sliema, Malta in 1960 and and was ordained a priest in 1996. He holds a Master of Divinity from Seton Hall University, South Orange, U.S.A., and has served in the following pastoral roles: vicar of the parish of “Our Lady of Mount Carmel” in Ridgewood, chancellor of the “Missio sui iuris” of Turks and Caicos, and priest of the parish of “Our Lady of Divine Providence” on the island of Providenciales. In 2002 he was named Chaplain of His Holiness.
- appointed Cardinal Stanislaw Rylko, president of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, as special envoy to the celebration of the 650th anniversary of the consecration of the Cathedral of Krakow, to be held on 28 March 2014.