Vatican City, 19 February 2014 (VIS) – The Holy Father has:
- appointed Msgr. Marcony Vinicius Ferreira as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Brasilia (area 5,814, population 2,267,000, Catholics 1,555,000, priests 312, permanent deacons 71, religious 639), Brazil. The bishop-elect was born in Brasilia, Brazil in 1964 and was ordained a priest in 1988. He specialised in liturgical theology at the St. Anselm Pontifical Athenaeum and the Pontifical University of the Holy Cross, Rome. He has served in a number of pastoral roles, including: priest of the parish of “Nossa Senhora do Rosario de Fatima” and of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Brasilia; archiepiscopal pastoral coordinator; member of the presbyteral council and the council of consultors; episcopal vicar for the vicariate “Centro”, and secretary general and coordinator of the liturgical team of the 16th National Eucharistic Congress in 2010. He is currently vicar general for the archdiocese of Brasilia.
- confirmed Cardinal Leonardo Sandri as prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches and Msgr. Cyril Vasil as secretary of the same dicastery.
- renewed as members of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches His Beatitude Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak, patriarch of Alexandria of the Copts; and His Beatitude Louis Raphael I Sako, patriach of Babylon of the Chaldeans;
- nominated the following members of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches: Cardinal Agostino Vallini, vicar general of His Holiness for the diocese of Rome; Archbishop William Charles Skurla of Pittsburgh of the Byzantines; Archbishop Pietro Parolin, secretary of State; Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Muller, bishop emeritus of Regensburg, prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith; Archbishop Vincent Nichols of Westminster; Archbishop Mario Aurelio Poli of Buenos Aires; Archbishop Joseph Edward Kurtz of Louisville; Archbishop Walmor Oliveira de Azevedo of Belo Horizonte; Archbishop Denis James Hart of Melbourne; Bishop Joseph Werth of Transfiguration of Novosibirsk.
- confirmed the following members Congregation for the Oriental Churches for a further five years: Cardinal Christoph Schonborn; Cardinal Jean-Louis Tauran; His Beatitude Fouad Twal, patriarch of Jerusalem; Archbishop Berhaneyesus Demerew Souraphiel of Addis Abeba; Archbishop Piero Marini; Archbishop Jan Babjak, metropolitan of Presov; Bishop Antoine Audo, S.J.; and the following members for the remainder of their respective mandates: Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, S.D.B., Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi, Cardinal Angelo Scola, Cardinal Marc Ouellet, Cardinal Andre Vingt-Trois, Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, Cardinal Reinhard Marx, Cardinal Timothy Michael Dolan, Cardinal William Joseph Levada, Cardinal Francesco Monterisi, Cardinal Kurt Koch, Cardinal Fernando Filoni, Cardinal Edwin Frederick O'Brien, and Bishop Peter Burcher of Reykjavik.
- nominated the following consultors of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches: Bishop Dimitrios Salachas, Pr. Massimo Pampaloni, S.J., Fr. Philippe Luisier, S.J., Pr. Michael Kuchera, S.J., Pr. Lorenzo Lorusso, O.P., Pr. Georges Ruyssen, S.J., Pr. Thomas Pott, O.S.B., Sac. Pablo Gefaell, Fr. G. Ronald Roberson, C.S.P., Msgr. Paul Pallath, Fr. Adam Konstanc, O.P., Msgr. Guido Marini, Sac. George Gallaro.
- confirmed the following consultors of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches: Msgr. Christo Proykov, Hanna G. Alwan, Borys Gudziak, Fr. Michel Van Parys, O.S.B., Msgr. Michel Berger, Msgr. Osvaldo Raineri, Pr. Archim. Jan Sergiusz Gajek, M.I.C., Msgr. Natale Loda, Archpriest Vasyl Hovera.