Home - VIS Vatican - Receive VIS - Contact us - Calendar

The Vatican Information Service is a news service, founded in the Holy See Press Office, that provides information about the Magisterium and the pastoral activities of the Holy Father and the Roman Curia...[]

Last 5 news

VISnews in Twitter Go to YouTube

Monday, September 3, 2001

LETTER FROM ARCHBISHOP MILINGO TO THE HOLY FATHER


VATICAN CITY, SEP 1, 2001 (VIS) - Offered below is the text of the August 25 letter, signed by Archbishop Milingo, emeritus of Lusaka, Zambia, and sent to John Paul II:

"Holy Father,

"While I thank you, Holy Father, I realize that this short and simple "thank you" is too little.

"When I knelt on August 6, 2001, to kiss your feet, I placed myself in the shoes of the sinner woman from the Bible who continued to cover the feet of Jesus with perfumed oil until she received the consoling words of forgiveness from Him who was her creator and master. 'Your sins are forgiven. ... Your faith has saved you; go in peace.'

"When I arose, you indicated a seat to me with your left hand and invited me to sit. Raising your right hand, you pronounced words that still sound in my ears: 'In the name of Jesus, return to the Catholic Church.' More than this you could not say. Then there was silence; until I began to stammer words which did not prompt you to say more, nor to repeat what you had said to me.

"Like the prodigal son, you sent me to Archbishop Tarcisio Bertone to tell him what I had told you; it was as if you said: 'Milingo was dead and has returned to life.' It was the confirmation of my return to the Catholic Church.

"I understood your words, as if you had said to me: 'Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.' I want to act together with you, Holy Father, with my brother bishops, with the entire Catholic Church. I am sorry for the suffering and great pain which I caused you personally, and for the scandal given to the entire Catholic Church, including my three religious communities.

"Asking your blessing, love, and forgiveness,
"I am, Holy Father,
"Your humble and obedient servant."

...;LETTER; MILINGO;...;...;VIS;20010903;Word: 320;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © VIS - Vatican Information Service