Vatican City, 15 October 2015 (VIS) – The Holy Father has:
- appointed Rev. Luis Albeiro Maldonado Monsalve as bishop of Mocoa – Sibundoy (area 25,282, population 347,510, Catholics 300,200, priests 81, permanent deacons 4, religious 98), Colombia. The bishop-elect was born in Fredonia, Colombia in 1958 and ordained a priest in 1986. He holds a licentiate in spiritual theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome, and has served as formator and spiritual director of the major seminary, professor and chaplain at the Pontifical Bolivarian University, parish priest and administrator of a priestly society. He is currently episcopal vicar of the diocese of Medellin, Colombia.
- appointed Bishop Titus Joseph Mdoe, auxiliary of the archdiocese of Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania, as bishop of Mtwara (area 7,780, population 884,000, Catholics 75,800, priests 41, religious 306), Tanzania. He succeeds Bishop Gabriel Mmole, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese upon reaching the age limit was accepted by the Holy Father.
- appointed Fr. Edgardo Cedeno Munoz, S.V.D., as bishop of Penonome (area 4,927, population 259,000, Catholics 210, 337, priests 25, religious 34), Panama. The bishop-elect was born in Panama City, Panama in 1960, took his religious vows in 1988 and was ordained a priest in 1989. He has served in a number of roles within his order including provincial superior, formator, provincial bursar, as well as chaplain and parish priest. He is currently pastor of the parish of the “Virgen de la Medalla Milagrosa” in Panama City.
- appointed Fr. George Desmond Tambala, O.C.D., as bishop of Zomba (area 3,232, population 822,450, Catholics 232,976, priests 42, religious 81), Malawi. The bishop-elect was born in Zomba, Malawi in 1968, gave his religious vows in 1991 and was ordained a priest in 1996. He holds a licentiate in theology, has served in a number of roles within his order, and has been a seminary professor and president of the Association of Superiors Major in Malawi. He is currently definitor general of the Carmelites.
- accepted the resignation from the office of auxiliary of Spis, Slovakia, presented by Bishop Andrej Imrich in accordance with canons 411 and 402 para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.